Guys who alternated quarters or drives are not easy to simulate in our game.
Wait, There’s two of you, now?
“As the person who came up with the idea and did the research, the intent was to list the starting QB, others who created seasons decided to make changes to support their seasons.”
- Yes, Mike. And you okayed this for suitability for use.
The need defines the requirement, Mike. The need for qb rigor in a modern 16 game season that had say thirty teams is different than the need for seasons where there are twelve teams and twelve games and each start has an inordinate impact on the stats for each team and each team’s record- and the season. The need is different for a season where quarterbacks would start a game and then intentionally they would be replaced, like the Fifties Giants or Quarterbacks were rotated by quarter or drive like 1957 Detroit. That wasn’t the case by 2004, which is why I agree with your assessment - but I could see chip’s point, too.
So the CMs unfortunately do not allow us to support rotating QBs by quarter nor by drive. I’ve spoken to Ed about this and while he has ideas they have not yet been applied to these older seasons. Period. So you can get all high and mighty about this QB starter file and how you devised but the fact of it is it is not a tool sufficient (on its own) to meet the need for that era of Strat-O-Matic Football. And you knew this.
We needed to make the simulation work in the 2000s on a tight timeline in the years even before you left and I took over. We did this together, we were once brothers and together we actually went through this. Here’s my notes to you as the lead when you accepted 1959 (c.2008):
If the idea of using the QBs to manage situations where the CMs were inadequate was so wrong, why did you accept it?
So this frankly pointless pearl clutching about the starter file and it’s design doesn’t square with the fact you knew about my approach especially with regard to 1959 Don Heinrich. Simply put the season wouldn’t work using just the CMs without that file to manage his usage versus Eagle Day and Conerly. And this is also true in 1956. It’s true for a lot of teams.
After all - I have a Master’s Degree in Engineering and like you, I’ve made over 200 teams for this game. Self serving, to be sure, but highly relevant experience and background.
Now if Ed does have a working prototype for a revolving CM, it’s still going to take time to enter and retest those CMs and those seasons. The CMs and seasons went together; it was a team decision, it had to be because usage is so critical in a smaller season. And it’s far easier for gamers to just edit the file, because they can. I’ll let gamers draw their own conclusions, as usual.
Boys I’m not gonna join you in debates on that Forum. I’m retired from this stuff mostly and frankly I don’t care what either one of you want to do. Most of my Strat now is baseball ⚾️. But you’re both on your own. If you’re going to just try to snark about, there’s no way I’m going to help you.
My prior thoughts on the matter:
-Fred
PS- Enough worrying about stuff from twenty years ago. Or fix it yourself.


No comments:
Post a Comment